Thursday 16 January 2014

Language Register and Targeted Audience




Through researching magazines such as the NME or New Musical Express, I found that their target audience is those aged 17-30. There average age of reader is 25 and they are predominantly male. (73%)

In terms of form and register, they are all well educated - 34% have a full time job, 18% work part time and the other 26% are full time students. The readers of these magazines are young, trendy and very modern, who enjoy films and technology, and reading about them.

Audience Demographics

Age: 25
Gender: 25
Employment: Full time job
Geographics: Live in the UK

After conducting this research and based on my findings I have now decided that my Target Audience will range from 16-30, aimed predominantly at those who are male and will have a fun, quirky edge so that the readers enjoy reading something different but formal and informative.

In terms of Language Register for my magazine I want to keep it formal, as my audience will be well educated. I want to try and use colloquialisms and some kinds of convergence to connect with my audience and create that bond and commitment between the reader and the magazine, like the likes of the NME have. I want the magazine to have some class as the majority of those reading are mature and of some kind of status within society, whether that be having a full time job or still in full time education, either way these people, who are most likely males, are well educated there I would assume their range of vocabulary is wide.

As my magazine is aimed predominantly males, I want to keep the 'jokey' and 'banterful' edge to it as most males aged between 16-30 love to have a 'laugh and a joke' but what I don't want is for my magazine to not be taken seriously. My magazine will include factual texts about artists, films and technology as these are key areas that the target audience have interests in. 

I plan to use colloquial language and convergence as I also want to grab the attention of those who aren't my prime audience, by doing this i will use colloquial language to keep my prime audience, as well as those who aren't my target audience, entertained.



Beri Lawless




Name; Beri Lawless

Gender; Female
Age; 19
Occupation/Education: Fashion student
Favourite Clothing stores: We Are Cow, Beyond Retro, Chanel, House of Holland, American Apparel, Lazy Oaf.
Interests; Drawing, Blogging about fashion, Frank Ocean, Drake, The 1975, Miles Kane, Arctic Monkeys

Beri is a fashion student whose life revolves around the way she looks. I love what she wears and always spot new posts on her social media of clothing items that she has purchased from vintage shops all around The East Midlands. She is often behind the screen of her laptop blogging about fashion and uploading pictures of her Vintage inspired wardrobe.



Luke Cleary


Name: Luke Cleary

Age:17
Occupation/Education: Full time a-level student studying further maths, chemistry, physics and biology.
Favourite Brands: Vans, Nike, Levi's, ASOS, Chicago Bulls.
Interests: Vintage Shopping, Science Experiments, The Foals, Arctic Monkeys, Jake Bugg.


Luke is your average science geek, he loves studying all three sciences and is aspiring to earn himself a PHD in physics. He likes to think he is 'The god' of all humanity and has a classic tag line 'Tall people are the superior race.' He has a very quirky personality and tries to make those around him feel comfortable and tries his best to tell jokes to make them laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment